What does “Research and Sponsored Programs” include?
- All research, scholarship, education, public service and creative activity, regardless of discipline.
- All funds applied for and/or awarded from outside the University as a Grant or a Contract or other Sponsored Agreement.
What does the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs do?
- Reporting to the Chief Research Officer, ORSP serves every faculty, staff and student within every academic discipline and research / programmatic area.
- The Office provides support in pre-award, limited non-financial post-award administration, technology transfer, research compliance oversight and export controls.
The ORSP is:
- The only administrative unit authorized by the University to review and submit funding proposals, and negotiate the terms of grant and contract awards made to the institution. Any award made to the University may only be accepted by the Provost or Chief Financial Officer.
- The designated administrative unit to UNC Asheville’s Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). The committees are charged with ensuring that research conducted at the University follows the requirements and guidelines set forth by federal, state and local governments for the protection of human subjects and the ethical use of animals.
Please note: All proposals for external funding, regardless of dollar amount, must:
- Be reviewed by the ORSP a minimum of 5 days before the due date.
- Have institutional approval prior to being submitted to a funding agency.
UNC Asheville reserves the right to reject an award if the project has not been properly routed and vetted by Administration prior to its submission.